We have all been there, looking at a recipe only to see the word “heavy cream” in the ingredient list. This word gives me the eeby-jeebies. I do not want the word “heavy” near any of the food I am going to eat. There are alternatives, I promise! Don’t fret if you are not a coconut lover, as I actually do not enjoy coconuts at all but the coconut milk isn’t all bad! Coconut milk does not taste like the sweetened and shredded coconut you most likely are thinking about, so rest assured! You will save yourself SO many calories with this healthier switch, and the food will taste just as good! Check out some yummy recipes below that you can make with coconut milk!
Coconut Curry Ginger Dipping Sauce for dumplings
Published on Serious Eats:
- 6 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 2 1/2 teaspoons fresh juice from 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Asian fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh peeled ginger
- Combine coconut milk and curry paste in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring, until slightly thickened and fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine lime juice, soy sauce, fish sauce, honey, and ginger in a small bowl. Add coconut-curry mixture and stir thoroughly to combine. Serve.
Creamy Coconut Oatmeal with Dried Peaches & Candied Coconut Pecans
Published on Fine Cooking:
- 1 cup Irish steel-cut oatmeal
- 3 Tbs. granulated sugar/ or brown sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp. light corn syrup
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecan halves
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup finely diced dried peaches, 13-1/2- or 14-oz. can coconut milk